Tuesday, December 29, 2009

No Boys Allowed

When I first moved to Birmingham I began working in the nursery at a Mother's Day Out program, and I fell in love with a sweet family with three children and one in utero. They welcomed me into their home with open arms, and I became the go-to gal to a family I have come to greatly respect and appreciate.

Parker was born in 2006, and I was there when he came home from the hospital. I was so very excited to watch this little kid grow!
I spent every Monday from 9-3 of Parker's first year with him. The trust his parents put in me means so much more now that I am older and have friends with young children. This photo was taken when the little Butter Bean was 6 weeks old.
I was also a live-in babysitter when his parents would take the older children skiing over Spring Break. We spent nine whole days together. This is when I learned that there is not a minute to spare in a stay-at-home mom's day. I found myself waking up half an hour before him so I could put in a load of laundry. Oh, and I drank about four double shot espresso latte's per day.
I literally went through withdrawals when I left him (and not just from the caffeine.) I found myself calling his mom to check in on him, "Has Parker had his medicine this afternoon?" "How long of a nap did he take today?" Ha!
I never thought I would be able to handle boys after growing up with both the Doxtad four and babysitting for the three Johnson boys. Boys are rough. Boys are wild. Boys are fearless. This photo of Parker pretty much sums it up. He's just jumped off the chair and the look on his face? "Whoa! Did you see that?! I'm gonna do it again!"
I have to admit. Spending time with this little guy over the years changed my no-boys-allowed attitude. He's a snuggle bunny. A sensitive soul. He loves to cuddle and read books.
Oh, and he does dishes!
Parker has grown and grown and grown, but I can still see the little guy I spent all that time with years ago. He told me once that his job is going to be to pet all the world's puppies. He and Piper have become great pals.
And now he's a kindergartner. And really good at making silly faces.
And his laughter is infectious.
And he climbs trees so high he sometimes asks for a ladder to help him get back down.
And a couple of weeks ago Parker and I ate one too many Christmas cookies and he decided to show off his karate moves at about nine thirty at night. And it suddenly became so clear to me why I had had a no-boys-allowed rule in the first place. Those first four years of sweetness and adorable giggles will trick ya!

6 comments:

~Juli said...

What a cute post Libba. Looks like you two will be best bud forever!

The Thorson Throwdown said...

Oh no! Looks like I may need some more durable furniture!

Famous Amys said...

What a CUTIE! This is such a sweet post...

Stephanie said...

Lovely story!!

leynahanson. said...

Ahahahaaa...I am looking forward to this!!! I always had a no-girls allowed policy! Why? Girls + adolescence = no good! I can handle furniture flipping =)

~Amy~ said...

What a wonderful post Libba. He is just precious and loved the video!!! 100% boy!!!