Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I could get used to this....



I'm beginning to realize what my life would be like if I weren't constantly packing the suitcase and being shuttled between airports. I kinda like it :-)

But just when I've become accustomed to weekends spent working in the yard, swimming, and discovering new swimming holes, my editor-in-chief decided we should take our Editorial Retreat to Lake Guntersville State Park for two days this week, AND that I should accept a Press Trip to Door County, Wisconsin for six days in July. Add to this the trip I have planned to Iowa in August and the New Mexico press trip I'll be attending in September, and it seems like once-monthly travel is going to be the way it is now through 2009. I've gotta satisfy that itch, though, right? I'm fortunate that most of my upcoming trips WILL include family (Iowa to visit the fam, Vegas for cousin Tricia's wedding, possibly Iowa for Thanksgiving and then AGAIN for Christmas!)

I've learned a lot about relaxing in the past few weeks, and that it's okay to not have an agenda 24/7. That no one will strike me down if I decide to lay on the couch and watch movies or read my book all afternoon. That it's OKAY to not be speeding along eleventy billion miles a minute.


The downside to all this free time is that it gives me liberty to think, and thinking leads to worrying. Right now I'm completely worked up about the state of our world and the future. I keep trying to tell myself that as long as I'm doing MY part, which is more significant than most people's, that I should feel at ease. But I can't help but feel that everything is going to hell in a handbasket, and I'm just along for the ride. That ache in the pit of my stomach that accompanied me through college is back. I refrain from watching the news, and limit my what's-going-on-in-the-world exposure to NPR, but I think about all the little things people COULD be doing but aren't, and I get upset all over again. Am I the only one that feels this way sometimes?

I've always been susceptible to these fits of bleeding heart liberal passion. It started in elementary school when I first learned about the depletion of the world's rainforests. I couldn't sleep at night. I worked myself into a tizzy 'til I was banned from watching the evening news. In fact, I saved all my Weekly Readers on this subject in Fourth Grade.

Is it just that I need to be worrying about something? Or is it that I feel like I could be doing more? I've given up meat. I've started a recycling effort at the office and am a bit of a nazi about it at home. I use energy efficient bulbs. I conserve water. I'm about to trade in my car for something with better fuel efficiency. I volunteer with the Alabama Environmental Council. What else can I do to help promote a healthier, simpler, cleaner way of living?

6 comments:

MoCos said...

Yo go girl.. I think it is awesome. More people need to care like you do!! We do our part here, recycle everything, no more dryer sheets or softner, bulbs, re-useable grocery bags, etc. Libba you know you would rather be a leader and not a follower.. keep it up!!

elizabeth said...

i need to do some more reading and learn how to use all the cool tools...i am just using the basics...but so far we LOVE it!!!

KelseyB said...

Libba..you go girl! I am so proud of your 'bleeding heart liberalness'. We are also trying to do our best with re-usable items. (Although we are not going down the re-usable diaper road. Can't do it.) Keep up your good work and volunteer efforts!

Elaine Warner said...

Spread the word and keep the faith. It reminds me of the story about the little boy who threw the starfish back into the sea. When he was told it was impossible to save them all, he replied "No, but I saved that one." My grocery store has stocked reusable grocery bags. I'm trying to go plastic bagless -- but they're so handy for picking up dog poo -- and at least that's a secondary usage!

Libba said...

Thanks for all your encouragement, ladies! It's good to know that others ARE becoming more conscience of the problem. However, I had no doubt that my blogger friends were as responsible as me....it's those that dump their trash bags / fast food bags on the side of the road or drive Hummers that I really want to give a swift kick in the ass to.

Scot with one 't' said...

It's that wonderful bleeding-heart that everyone loves about you! :)
Other than you're cute and funny and talented...but don't despair, we will win this war! The tide is turning in our favor!! Keep your head up. Love ya.