
I got the call I've been dreading this morning. Every time I leave Iowa from my biannual visit, I say good-bye to Otis, knowing it might be the last time I see him. Bryan Van Norman, Will, and I got Otis in March 1997. We thought we were going to pick out a puppy, what we got was a puppy the size of our full-grown yellow lab, Shadow. Otis was not the eaiest dog to live with. He ate through garage doors, he destroyed thousands of dollars worth of tools, furniture, etc. Daddy got out the shotgun on more than one occasion. But when you look into those big brown eyes, it's like looking at King Kong. A gentle giant.
And when Daddy was stationed in Fort Hood, Texas for 18 months, Otis was the only one on the farm keeping Mama company. I'd call her and hear her talking and ask, "Who are you talking to, Mama?" "Oh, just Otis. He wanted to hear about my day."
I could go on and on with Otis stories, but I won't, because I'm already tearing up. He was diagnosed as being clinically obese back in the 90's, and he's now topped out at around 160 pounds. Recently he's developed hot spots on his face and eyes and has been having a difficult time standing up. Part of me is holding out hope that his hot spots will clear up and he'll be fine. But a larger part of me is bracing myself for the inevitable. Boy, will I miss that dog.
If you have any memories of Big O, please share...
2 comments:
Is Otis part horse? I know how the dogs are part of the family at the Young household, and you can tell they are always loved bacause they get "fat and happy". I don't know Otis...I am from the Shadow days. But I am sad reading about him. What a great friend for your mom to have while your dad was away.
Otis has been an important link to our family chain for the past 11 years. I have so many memories, like when he up-chucked a whole baked potato still in foil, or when he peed on Dad's playstation. I wasn't there for this one, but I would have LOVED to see him try to hump Lil' Bit. Lots of memories, Lots of love.
Post a Comment