Thursday, April 2, 2009

Home Improvements

Kisses from Piper!
Co-Founder Damen Extraordinaire and I pose on the Holiday with a view of Alabama's tallest building in the background.


Not a lot going on here. My trip last week to Mobile was a lot of fun. Mobile is a beautiful and interesting place. We ate on the Carnival Holiday and it cemented my lifelong goal to never take a Carnival Cruise. It smelled like armpits and it felt like a combination of the Titanic and a 70's disco. And this was Day 1 of the voyage. And a lot of people in tanktops walking around drinking beers. It was just plain strange. Luckily, they're getting a new ship (with balconies) this fall (I think!) But seriously, it's a great boost to Alabama's economy and it would be so much fun if I was one of the high school spring breakers that came in on huge buses. I'm just more of an immerse-myself-in-culture-and-really-explore-a-place kind of traveler.

The weather has been rainy and gross, but I did find time to pot some plants between downpours, and Dirk and I are in the process of ripping up the only remaining carpeted room in order to install laminate hardwood floors. Exciting to have new floors, but not exactly exciting to be ripping up the eleventy billion staples and scraping up padding/glue from the linoleum we discovered under the previous parquet entry hall. Blegh! And along with the wisteria (which smells amazing!), the dust from ripping up decades-old carpet is working wonders on my allergies. I love to sneeze as much as the next person, but blowing snot all over the place is not exactly attractive :-(

1 comment:

Jess said...

Your pots are making me anxious! I am glad I didn't get my flower beds prepped with all of the snow we were going to get.
And, hey - what's wrong with a tank top and a beer? Reminds me of zip code 51020! :)