Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day Trips

One of the things I love about Birmingham is that there are so many opportunities to get OUT of Birmingham. A dear friend of mine, Shannon, lives about an hour outside of the city in the cutest little town called Montevallo. I've often been quoted as saying that if I were to choose to live in any other town in Alabama it would either be Montevallo, Fairhope (on Mobile Bay), or Mentone (up in the mountains near Chattanooga.) The town itself is about the size of Ida Grove, but has Alabama's only public liberal arts university, which Shannon attends.

We took our Nikons on a walk during my visit last week, and were able to get some pretty fun shots. It was the day before Shannon's birthday, so I brought her this tagua nut necklace. I've decided to bring back the friendship bracelet, by the way, but in the form of environmentally friendly tagua nut necklaces. They are now worn by Brooke, Mama, my friend Liz, Shannon, and me, and I'm making a few more for some other sweet ladies in my life.


Along the trail we came upon this amazing tree that had fallen over a creek. It was HUGE (and the mosquitoes were equivalently large.) Such a cool spot for photographs!


Then we jetted over to Ebenezer Swamp, a wetland that was purchased by the University because some organism exists there that is found nowhere else or something. There's a wooden boardwalk that allows you to walk out in the middle, and it was a very eery, creepy, Tim Burtonish place. So quiet and calm, and the lighting was just perfect for me to practice my f22 landscapes.


I've realized that because I'm so used to traveling and having a change of scenery at least once a month, that it's where a lot of my creativity and inspiration derive from. I have been truly fortunate up to this juncture, and know that moving forward, even if I cease to travel to amazing destinations on someone else's dime, I will always make a conscious effort to GET OUT of my daily surroundings and will never stop exploring!

No comments: