Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Improvings

Major home improvements going on at This Young House. The paint job that they swore was going to take 24 hours turned into 96. Yeah. But it's done (well, almost.) We're going to paint the front door bright red, and Dirk still needs to put lattice up under the front deck, but he's continued to be very handy (he made the front steps himself, for instance.) All in all, I'm happy with the colors we chose, and Dirk has agreed that we're going to take a break from "working on the house" which is his favorite past time and extremely boring for me. Because his idea of my helping is to hold screws, but the minute I try to do anything else he gets bent out of shape because I'm not "helping." Props to all couples out there who have renovated or redecorated their homes!


I came home from a long night at work on Friday and discovered that Dirk had driven to Huntsville to purchase a new sound system. I very calmly walked to the kitchen, poured myself a glass of wine, and talked myself out of losing it completely. Because do we really need SEVEN new speakers in our little living room? Not to mention that two of those speakers come up to my chest. I mean, the first thing anyone would see upon entering our home would be huge black speakers EVERYWHERE! He pouted around a little bit, "You don't like them!" "But just wait 'til we watch a movie, it's like being in the theatre" and "Now I can run speakers to the back deck for you!" Like this purchase was for me. Yeah, right. I promised him that I would give the speakers a chance and that I was sure they would grow on me, but they'd grow on me a lot better if we could get some sort of new furniture to hide them in. So we got this new entertainment center and it really ties the room together :) And yes, the speakers are a little less obtrusive now (he ran all the speaker wire under the floor and let me decorate them with pottery and plants.)


So here's to a break in improvements! Woo hoo! Maybe we can begin to relax on weekends now?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think a break from renovations would be good. They can be draining and taxing on a relationship...but from it come good stories and your works looks great!
What speakers? You hid them well. Randy has giant speakers, too. HUGE. Total guy thing. I made the huge black blocks go in the basement. We don't really need giant speakers any way since I won't let the TV volume go above 7!

The Thorson Throwdown said...

Love the work-totally with you in taking a break...much needed! I love red doors!

Famous Amys said...

Lib, the house looks fabulous. So happy about the new steps, and I can't wait to see the red door.