Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Weddinged

A few of you have been hounding me (Maureen) for an update on wedding planning. So here it is. I am getting married. That's the plan. The date is set. The site is booked. The bridesmaids dresses have been chosen. The save-the-dates have been designed (shout out to my buddy Liz/graphic-designer-extraordinaire.) Things such as flowers, cake, music, etc., are slowly coming together. It's a little overwhelming, actually. I mean, with all of the amazing weddings in the magazines, which ideas do I adapt? What type of wedding do we want to have? I am a fan of so many different styles and colors that it's going to be hard to choose just one. Can our shin-dig be quirky, outdoorsy, intimate, elegant, and casual all at the same time?

Real Simple weddings has BY FAR been the hugest help in planning and plans! That and bridesmaid Kate, matron of honor Brooke, and coworker/born bride Linnzie.

I have officially been trying on wedding dresses since August. And in three different states. So, let's take a poll, which type of bride do you think fits me best?

1. Couture bride. This dress has been my favorite by far. I mean, can't you just see the amazing bridal portraits Chap will take on my favorite hiking trail? The only thing is, it's about three times my budget. Yikes.

2. Contemporary Bride. Cute, but I'm really looking for something more timeless, that can be passed down through generations. I really wish my mother had kept hold of her dress and I wouldn't be having this huge wedding dress dilemna.

3. Traditional Bride. Don't I just look like Barbie getting ready to marry Ken all dressed up in his naval uniform? Maybe a little too plain for my tastes? This is the type of dress Mama would LOVE for me to wear on my wedding day. And it's super pretty, I'm just not sure if it's original or OOAK (one of a kind) enough for me.

4. Editorial Bride. This dress called for my best editorial pose (a la Herb Ritts)

I really do love this look, and it's still definitely in the running. The little sleeves are great, no?


All in all, I'm still a little ambivalent about what type of bride I'm going to be. This face pretty much sums it up.

Any advice from all of you married ladies out there? Mama and Brooke are coming down to force me to buy a dress in February. We have two days. And that's it. Have I mentioned previously that deadlines really stress me out?! I hate the feeling of "YOU HAVE TO!" Ugh!

Here are some of the humorous highlights from wedding dressing (see how I've made it a verb, there?)

In Asheville, Brooke took me to the cutest little wedding boutique in a converted home. Except you needed to have a reservation in order to have the dressing room, so they stuck us in a lean-to closet on the second floor with no light. Oh, and Brooke is about 6' tall and couldn't stand up all the way. Oh, and with the light and all, she couldn't figure out the zippers/clasps/etc., and I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard as she was all hunched over trying to help me into all these dresses, and my hyperventilating laughter didn't help much with the zipping. A highlight for sure. I love the angle of this photo, as you can see that Brooke is looking down at me, looking all tiny in my closet corner.

Have you all seen the "Sex and the City" movie? My favorite quote BY FAR (again with the BY FAR I don't know what's going on) from wedding dressing is "I wore a BIRD on my HEAD!" "Is that what that was?!" I am most definitely going to have to wear a bird on my head at my wedding, just so we can all be repeating this line over and over and over again.

Okay, so I'm asking you all for suggestions, advice, things to take away from this whole wedding planning experience.

9 comments:

leynahanson. said...

The couture dress is fabulous! I died when I saw that! That's my vote...& couldn't you just eliminate something to make up for the overexpenditure on this piece!? And I dub the photo of you in the tiny room in that dress "Libba in Wonderland" b/c it reminds me of course of Alice in Wonderland. I can only imagine the laughter rolling through that room! =)

MoCos said...

Omigod...get a second job and buy them all! I want to go dress shopping again, it is so freaking fun!! I love the contour, I love the barbie traditional bride, and the sleeves oh the sleeves!! You need to pick a dress. I picked my dress in February and I got married in OCTOBER!! that is a lot of time in between lady, you need to be prepared for them to F it up like mine. When I got my first dress it was a highwater dress and you could see my ankles.. not cool they had to order a new one.. so my piece of advice.. The one you keep going back to look at in the pictures is your favorite, even if you love another one, it is the one you can't stop looking at in the pictures... that is how I knew!! THANK YOU for the update...now about that sweet old house..

Anonymous said...

Wow Libba......they all look beautiful on you. I think my favorite is the couture, but you you wouldn't go wrong wearing any of them. Have fun!
Love, Aunt Sandy

L$ said...

i'm not a woman, and i didn't buy a dress, but my best advice is to enjoy the wedding in its entirety as a process... not worrying about cramming everything into one day or 'not missing anything' that day, but from what you're doing now (which it appears that you are) to the days leading up to the event to the days after and years truly. sometimes w/ sarah, but sometimes alone, i get out our album and enjoy that day all over again. to me, it's a celebration of a life you have made and that you have chosen.

Famous Amys said...

Oh, Libs. Just thinking about zipping the entire back of the dress almost made me pee my pants again. That was such a fun day. Ah.

And you will look GORGEOUS in any dress you try on, so finding the "right" one is hard. I'm still loving the last one I saw you in, the one with the sleeves and the embroidery. But I'm sure I'll change my mind when I see you in another dress in February. We'll have to make that dress-trying-on day as fun as the previous one.

Love you! Miss you!

~Juli said...

I'm loving Couture bride but the word Couture and wedding dress in the same sentence equals $$$ I recall that as well from my wedding dress shopping :) I also love #4. But you know what Libba. ALL are beautiful because you are beautiful. You could wear a sheet. Dirk will never remember what your dress looked like. My advice for your wedding planning. Something will go wrong on the big day. Not sure what but something will and you will be the only one that knows!

elizabeth said...

i LOVE the 1st dress!!! and the best advice i can give you is to get the dress you want. I found the dress that i wanted...i looked beautiful in it and then i looked at the price tag and i didnt have the heart to ask my parents to pay for it but now i am wishing i would have because now i look back at our picts and i HATE them...i hate all of them. You only get married once...(well your only suppose to get married once) get the dress you want and feel the most beautiful in!!!

jchelstrom said...

Wow - good luck! You look beautiful in all of them, I don't know how you will be able to choose. I really really hope you wear a bird on your head! I love that dang movie - your post reminded me of the Vogue shoot with all the dresses.

Elaine Warner said...

You look gorgeous in all of them! I like the one with the little sleeves best but YOU make the dress, not the other way around.