Saturday, July 31, 2010

Reading List

There are so many books and so little time. I've been an avid reader since I was a child. I'll never forget the moment when reading "clicked" for me. My family was on a cross-country roadtrip, driving through the Colorado Rockies. I was reading a book about some crazy fox character, and could not, for the life of me, figure out how to pronounce the word "could." I was an intense and emotional child (still am sometimes) and I was in tears over that stupid word. And then it happened. I was reading. And I haven't stopped since.

I am never without a book. I go from one to the next, after paying the proper respect to the tome just finished. I keep journals filled with my favorite quotes out of the books I've read and I return to them frequently, like I'm visiting old friends.

I keep coming across books I want to read or am interested in learning more about, so I decided to just make a list of them here so I can have access to them whenever, especially since I just finished an amazing work of historical fiction last night: Junot Diaz's "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" the story of a family from the Dominican Republic and the curse that has followed them through Trujillo's reign.

If you have any that you think I should add to the list or take off the list or have read any of these that you highly recommend, please comment!

1. Carlos Ruis Zafon "The Angel's Game"
2. Ian McEwan "Atonement"
3. Barbara Kingsolver "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral"
4. Barbara Kingsolver "The Lacuna"
5. Sara Gruen "Water for Elephants"
6. Garth Stein "The Art of Racing in the Rain"
7. Chris Cleave "Little Bee"
8. the Stieg Larsson trilogy
9. Jeannette Walls "Half-Broke Horses"
10. Anne Lamott "Imperfect Birds"
11. Yann Martel "Beatrice and Virgil"
12. Kathryn Stockett "The Help"
13. Gin Phillips "The Well and the Mine"
14. Gregory Maguire "A Lion Amongst Men"
15. Richard Russo "Bridge of Sighs"
16. Richard Russo "Nobody's Fool"
17. Pat Conroy "South of Broad"

I know I'll be adding to this list OFTEN. And you can add away, too :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just started All Over But the Shouting. Can't put it down! Loved The Help, as you know! And The Well & the Mine! I have a list too. Can't wait for you to get here & look at it with me! Mamma

~Amy~ said...

I HEART The Art of Racing in the Rain! WOW! I may have to check out some on your list!! ;)

Stephanie said...

John Shors "Beneath a Marble Sky"
(great book- and the author is from Iowa)