Thursday, July 8, 2010

An Actual Blog With No Photographs

Okay, blogosphere. I'm putting it out there. I'm not whining. I'm not having a pity party. I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being realistic. And honest. I get exhausted trying to sugar-coat everything for the world wide web. Don't you want to know what's REALLY going on?! Here goes: I've been down lately.

Call it post-wedding depression. Call it what you will, but throughout life, nothing has been able to send my attitude plummeting like drama with friends. I feel as if this is something I have struggled with my whole life. Friendships. Maybe it's because I'm a middle child and always want everybody to be happy. Maybe I give too much and expect too much in return. All I know is that I am a very sensitive soul. That's just how I am. It's how I always have been.

Tread softly.

I used to beat myself up over it. I would be down for days and weeks when a so-called "friend"'s true colors would show and I would realize they weren't really that good of a friend in the first place.

I know that I am fortunate to have those who appreciate and support and encourage and LOVE me for me. What I'm wondering is, do you out there ever get so discouraged by certain individuals that you just take a little break from them? I've decided to remove myself from the situation for awhile. To see if I stop calling, emailing, texting, contacting others to make plans, who would I hear from? I feel as though if I clean my closet, so to speak, and get rid of all the excess baggage cluttering my head, I'll open it up to other things. Creative things. If I spent less time worrying about whether or not someone's upset with me, or why oh why doesn't this person understand me after all this time, I'd have so much more time to get back to ME. Because honestly, I enjoy my own company. I have fun hanging out with myself. I think thoughts. I make things. I feel like the best version of myself.

I deal with people all day long. Five days a week. It's difficult to carve out social time, let alone alone-time, husband-time, family-time. I am pulled in so many different directions. For one whole year I had a break. Just me and the dogs all day every day. It was lonely at times, but still, it is a time I have grown very nostalgic for.

Now I'm rambling. I guess it's enough to know that you have a hand-full of people you can count on. Who you can call when you're on the verge. Who understand you completely and wholly and accept you, despite your flaws. I have those people and I am thankful. It's the others that bother me. The "acquaintances" who masquerade as friends sometimes.

A wonderful person I met in college, who is not afraid to wax nostalgic or show emotions on her blog, posted this excerpt from a book she's reading. It just touched me on a wonderful level.

"love is what carries you, for it is always there, even in the dark, or most in the dark, but shining out at times like gold stitches in a piece of embroidery.
sometimes too i see that love is a great room with a lot of doors, where we are invited to knock and come in. though it contains all the world, the sun, moon, and stars, it is also so small as to be also in our hearts. it is in the hearts of those who choose to come in. some do not come in. some may stay out forever. some come in together and leave separately. some come in and stay, until they die, and after." - heather coulter, wendell berry

It reminded me that everyone enters your life for a reason. Whether to teach you a lesson or give you an experience to carry with you through life. I'll continue to let them in, and if they don't choose to stay, they fulfilled a purpose of some sort.

Thanks for letting me rant, folks. I feel as if I can write about this now because I've turned a corner as far as my attitude towards it. I am in a really great place right now. I can't wait to find some new friends to share it with.

14 comments:

The Thorson Throwdown said...

Why is it that we let people do that? I am that same boat with you, and have had the same thought about not calling, emailing, etc to see what would happen-but am too afraid to find out...

Ms. Melody said...

Aww... Libba... funny thing is that you and I don't really "know" each other... yet I feel so very parallel to you sometimes that I would call us friends. On that note, you have no idea how many times my husband and I sit over a drink pondering the exact same things with our "friends". We often take breaks from them. And during that time, I feel a bit down as well... questioning whether it's them or me. I am sorry you are feeling this now. Life is hard, that's for damn sure. I just realize the older I get, the more honest I am with my friends and myself and that's all I can be.... I won't be something I'm not. I am certain you are a beautiful soul and firmly beleive you (we) should only surround yourself with happy hearts. Life is just too short otherwise....
(sorry for the ramble but this post hit way to close to home for me)
Hugs.....

Stephanie said...

Interesting topic. And thanks for the honesty.
Friendships are tough. I think you only need a few tried and true, love you for you friends. Mel is exactly right- to surround with only happy hearts. If it's feeling one sided or causing stress or drama, I wouldn't put anymore energy into it. You don't have to cut them off, but take it at face value and move on to those who you can count on.

And you can always vent with no sugar coating here...you have some fellow bloggers that will always listen.

:)

Nicole Huisinga said...

It sounds like you have the right idea, to take care of you and not let others get you down! I'm sending you hugs!

~Juli said...

Aww Libba, you've got such a sweet soul. Mel put it perfect, surround yourself with happy hearts :)

Ms. Melody said...

"I think you only need a few tried and true, love you for you friends"... Steph, beautifully put! I completely agree. And that is what makes those friendships so very real. And honest. And so, so valuable.
Gosh, I sure love all you ladies! :)

Elaine Warner said...

The world is full of acquaintances but real friends are rare. And everyone gets busy with their own stuff. I've been really busy with work lately and haven't called or kept up with friends around here --and it occurred to me that they may wonder what kind of a friend I am. You and I are separated by geography and age but you are just the kind of person I want for a friend. From the day we met I was impressed that you are who you are -- no mask, no putting on or trying to impress. And with someone like that -- a person can feel free to be authentic, too. It's a real gift you have.

Libba said...

Thank you for confirming that it is okay for me to open up on my blog. Your positive feedback is better than chocolate. Who knew that a silly little blog would bring so much love and support to my life? I am so very thankful for all of you!

leynahanson. said...

i too must & will ramble here...this post completely gave me confidence to share with you (& hopes to share with my blogworld eventually) that i have suffered completely scary miserable irritating saddening severe post-partum depression for the last 8 months now. it is scary in the sense that i know that i'm not who i used to be. i'm just not "me" & i wonder if i'm ever going to be me again, & if so, when? it leaves me very lonely. i have my wonderful baby boy & michael. but still lonely. and thus it begins a cycle. i choose not to go out & seek other new friends here in my new surroundings because i know of the risks & potential heartaches it can bring, as you have mentioned. but then again, i have no real outlets other than myself. your post opened my heart & reminded me that despite the distance, those close true friends are the ones who can help open your mind, change your attitude, lift your mood & remind you of who "you" really are. you lifted me up today, so thank you. much love to you =)

Kate Ford said...

... i felt she found my letters and read each one out loud.

you... my love... are loved by me.

and sometimes it is best to step away and take it all in.. your surroundings that is... and really look at who you ALLOW into that surrounding space. which I believe happens to be a very prime piece of property.
and if you come to see that perhaps none really fit... then , my love, it is time... like you said... to wash your hands and start the task of discovering all over again. But all the while know that my heart... sings out to you... xo

Kate Ford said...

My dear Leyna...
we must become pen pals.
You see.. all that you are saying... all that you are feeling... i too have been there. No one talks about it... After I had my first Born I was right where you are.. just trying to breathe... hoping that someone would just throw me something... anything that i could hang onto... somthing i could grasp to pull me out of the current that was taking me under. email me ... you and I were meant to be pen pals. xo

KelseyB said...

Libba....thanks so much for feeling free to share your heart with us. I am so glad that you felt that your blog-friends could relate/give advice/understand your soul. I have to agree with all that's been said. Today, so many rely on instant gratification. With all the technology surrounding us, it's no surprise that it worked its way into friendships. I don't carry my cellphone anymore unless I'm traveling with the kids (for emergencies). I don't feel the need to be in instant contact with everyone, thus making those that want/need to contact me find just a little more patience in the world. Carry on, honey. Carry on, happily.

t_momiowa said...

Dear Libba,,First I must tell you how much pleasure and joy your site brings to me. Your photo's are unique and warming, yet familar to me in many ways. You have an old sole in a young heart and that is wonderful. I hear all of your words and I know your feelings. Growing is not always a wanted experience and its not always fun,,I think that is the most frustrasting. But always know that life is a huge journey and not everybody will be there thru it all. The important ones will be there and stay,,forever. Know that your heart is strong and your feelings are true to all that wish to believe in you. Thanks again for your photo's,,I look at them often. Teresa Blenner (Kelsey, Hillary, Jami's Mom)

Meghann Whitmer said...

WOW ladies!! I have been a lost soul in the blog world but am back..and reading this reminds me why I am back!! You all are the best!!