Monday, October 11, 2010

the sugar shack

I've been hearing amazing stories of my friend Joanie's lake house for years now, and when she told me that she would be out of town this weekend and that it was all mine if I wanted, I jumped at the opportunity. And since my husband is super motivated and works and/or studies and/or watches football all weekend, I asked Amber to come along.

The house is just perfect. It's what every lake house should be. A hodge podge of items from thrift stores, family heirlooms, children's paintings, all combine to make it look like a spread in Cottage Living. This is the porch that we lived on. Seriously. We only ventured into the house to use the bathroom. The sleeping porch has a table and chairs, ceiling fans, beds, and a television with DVD player. We were set.
Here's a view of the Sugar Shack from the dock.
We practiced our poi all afternoon. I finally nailed some moves I've been practicing, so felt very accomplished.
We practiced til our fingers were calloused. Talking talking talking all the while.
We took goofy self-timed shots on the dock.
And in the boat....in our heads (at the time) we thought that these would make it actually look like were out on the lake on the boat. When in, actuality, neither of us as a boating permit. It didn't stop us from attending cocktail hour on the water, however.
Then, as nightfall fell, we moved indoors, talking talking talking all the while.
Amber's been wanting to practice henna tattoos so brought along a kit. Then, as we started reading the directions, it called for like, black tea bags, and all this crap we didn't have. So we're saving it for another girl's weekend.
Then we snuggled up in our beds and watched the Goonies. At least, the Goonies was playing, but we ended up just talking talking talking into the night.
On the ride home yesterday, we tried to remember what all our conversations had been about. And for the life of me, I can only remember one topic that everything always came back to: photography. My kind of topic.

More photos of the amazing Sugar Shack (interiors, details, etc.) on my flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/libbadibbado

6 comments:

amber said...

can't wait to see more! & can't wait for our next adventure.. xo

Ms. Melody said...

So jealous... jealous of the cottage beach house... the glasses of wine... the porch... the all weekend talk of photography... But jealous in a good way. :)

The Thorson Throwdown said...

I believe I could live on that porch!

Stephanie said...

Well pardon my language- but...friggin awesome porch.
And shack. And company. And weekend.

And you have the coolest friends...or is it them, that has the coolest friend in YOU?!

Kate Ford said...

*sigh* double *sigh* ...
today i am jealous of Amber... yep that's right i said it ... j.e.a.l.o.u.s

Stephanie said...

Well Kate, I thought you had been there to stage all that cozy chicness!
:)