Monday, June 6, 2011

staying with alice in wonderland

Since Alice was this little (this photo is from my grad week at Sewanee circa 2003, Alice is on the right), I have been hanging out with her while her parents were at events or functions or traveling out of town. Alice's mother and my mama went through middle and high school together and still keep in touch. So Alice is like a little sister to me, one that is a lot less annoying than I was as a little sister.
Alice's parents usually take at least one weekend getaway trip per year, so that means we get to spend some time together. We share music, we share stories, we talk about books, and, depending on what grade she's in, the drama. Boy and girl drama.

After Alice met Sipsey, she began a campaign to get a dog of her own.
One year we both grew our hairs out and donated to Locks of Love.
Here she is with her own pup, Posy.
This was taken Saturday. I just love my weekends with Alice. They're so relaxing, and for a few days I get to live vicariously through her, and relive my high school days. And I can honestly say that, although I would gladly go back and relive some experiences, there are others that I wouldn't relive for a million dollars.
One thing I worked on this past weekend (besides my tan and finishing my book) was the ultimate girlie sounds playlist, with songs that, for whatever reason, take me back to either high school, college, or my twenties (yes, I am getting old). Alice helped, of course.
I'll be working on gathering the songs for my mix over the course of this month, and if any of you enjoy some good girl music, please email me your mailing address and I'll ship you a copy!

2 comments:

Famous Amys said...

My goodness, Alice Elizabeth is turning into quite the beautiful young lady!

Some songs that instantly come to mind: That's just what you are, Aimee Mann. Holiday, Madonna. Killing me softly, The Fugees. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman.

Libba said...

Okay, adding Fast Car, Aimee Mann and Tracy Chapman were already on the list!