Wednesday, May 28, 2008

El Yunque (El JOOOON-KAY!)


I was thrilled about visiting Puerto Rico’s El Yunque National Rainforest, but non-too thrilled about the WAY in which I was going to be visiting it. I mean, there’s got to be a better way to experience the United States’ ONLY tropical rainforest than on a loud, gas guzzling, all terrain vehicle (ATV), right? Then Tree Hugger Libba stepped aside to make room for Iowa Farm Girl Libba, who actually had a really good time.

Mostly because the trail took us to the Mamayes River, which runs out of the mountains and is the coolest, clearest river I’ve ever had the liberty of jumping off of a rock into. Our Puerto Rican guides (both named Sammy) impressed us all by diving from tree branches into the river and painting our faces with stones rubbed against rocks to produce clay.

Real quick, let me mention that this was the youngest press trip I’ve been on to date. Usually I’m the baby of the group, which includes at least a few token male journalists, but on this trip, I was one of 14 young, beautiful, talented, journalists and PR people, which made for some images I’m sure Executive Traveler’s readers will enjoy.

Is this not the fiercest photo you've seen all week?!

No comments: