Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Growing Golden Girl

Unfortunately, my flight to Little Rock this morning was cancelled and the next available flight does not leave 'til tomorrow! Fortunately, it gave me time to get to know my new GPS and catch up on photo editing. I'm sure you're all tired of Piper Pictures by now, but I thought I'd post an entry on our giant 5-month-old dog (almost the size of Sipsey!)
We've been waiting for the infamous Golden smile to make an appearance, and with the advent of warmer weather and big dog teeth, the smile's been on exhibit more and more, as well as her tail and leg feathers.
Dirk and I were feeling brave last Sunday and decided to take both dogs to Linn Park in downtown Birmingham to participate in Magic City Art Connection, an amazing art festival held annually with artist booths, live music, dancing, and local chefs, too! Lots of families, children, dogs, and breakables. Piper was a champ! She played in the fountain, kissed (and didn't jump on!) lots of little kids, and aside from the fact that Dirk and I were running on 5 hours of sleep apiece after a late night at his band gig, both dogs were the life of the festival. The art was also topnotch this year, and I could have spent eleventy billion dollars on treasures from local artists to exhibit in my home and yard. It's always fun to recognize art and artists from previous years, as well as from art festivals I've attended around the state in the past five years. I just love the vibe of an art festival, and although I tend to walk away empty handed, I always have a ton of fun.
Adorable, right?
Her moods swing quickly towards annoyance when the camera's around. She's definitely not as patient with my hobby as Sipsey is.
We went on our first swimming hole adventure at the Cahaba this past week. It was a perfect end-of-April day. No humidity, partly cloudy, slight cool breeze. Perfect for the first official dip of 2009. Piper and Sipsey had so much fun paddling around our secret spot, and I have the scratches on my arms and stomach to prove it. Sipsey thinks it's so exciting when I swim along with them that she tries to climb up me. Very annoying, but also pretty endearing. We like to make fun of Piper's Cyndi Lauper-style crimp that happens on her ears after she gets wet. My mama refused to crimp our hair as children/adolescents, and in retrospect I'm thankful, but seeing Piper's crimp makes me a little jealous, but maybe that's just nostalgia speaking.

1 comment:

~Amy~ said...

She is so cute and I love her crimped hair! You are a great mommy to her and Sipsey and they are lucky to have you!!