Old Bryce Hospital was the first place on the list. (check!)
Next were some of the many covered bridges in Alabama. A section of the Warrior River has three bridges, and having never seen a covered bridge before, I was anxious to check it out. My friend Amy came along, she's a native Alabamian, and a fellow adventurer, who was eager to find some fun and interesting places she hasn't seen before.
The Horton Mill Bridge was the first on the list. At 70 feet above the river, it is one of the tallest bridges in Alabama.

I love this photo I got of Amy!

Then we visited Easley Bridge which was very puny and I only got one photograph of it because it was really nothing special.
Then we headed to Swann Bridge, which is the longest covered bridge in the state, and supposedly haunted.

Here we are on the bridge.

Pretty spectacular.

Dirk had ONE weekend off this month so I kidnapped him and planned a getaway to some more of my must-see spots. We set up camp at Lake Guntersville State Park, right smack dab on the lake. I was really really hoping to see a bald eagle (Lake Guntersville is famous for it's bald eagles), but alas, I did not. I have two life goals, one is to never smoke a cigarette, and the other is to see a bald eagle in the wild.

We got everything set up in time for the golden girls to take a dip at sunset. Dirk and I had so much fun. I love camping with him. We just drink and ask silly questions (if you were stranded on a desert island-type questions) and play silly games (word rhyming, etc.) together.

We got up early (which was not difficult when you're sleeping in a tent with two alarm clocks), and headed to the Walls of Jericho. Granddaddy was the first person to tell me about this place, which is considered the Grand Canyon of the Southeast and was discovered by Daniel Boone (this place was his old hunting ground.) The hike is not easy (I won't lie.)

It's approximately 2 miles to the first footbridge, and at this point we were thinking we were almost there. We were wrong. I kept saying, "It's got to be right around the corner. It's got to be right around the corner." I was wrong.

Another half a mile brought us to an open wildflower meadow with this grave in the middle. The headstone was dated 1861 (I believe). Yet again we were thinking that we were almost there. And again, we were wrong.

It was another mile on a rocky trail along the side of a cliff with a drop off on one side before we reached the main attraction. And it was worth it.

The water just gushes out the side of the mountain and forms a huge bowl-like crater inbetween the cliffs. I can honestly say that this is the coolest place I have ever hiked to, and any nature enthusiast in Alabama has GOT to see it once in their lifetime.

And for all of my Iowa readers, there was a dude in an Iowa t-shirt we met on the trail. Big high fives ensued.

It's wildflower season in the South. Blues, purples, reds, yellows, whites. Lovely.

Everything is SO green! I did not enhance these photos at all.

Then we began the long way home. Ugh. As Dirk put it, "Hell would be having to hike this trail over and over and over again." There were many conversations between the two of us about what it would have been like to be a Civil War Soldier having to traverse this terrain in uniform carrying war gear. Dirk decided he would have cut off his pants and worn shorts. Sexy Short-Wearing Civil War Soldier.

Since it only took us 3 hours (YES THREE HOURS) to hike the 7-mile roundtrip (I was about to fall over. When I saw the car I thought it was a mirage.) We decided to hit up another one of Alabama's attractions: Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, AL. Ever wonder what happens to your luggage when it gets lost? It ends up in Alabama at this place.

And we were asleep by 8:30 last night.
7 comments:
Grat Pics, you are not going to have a bare wall in your new home those are all frame worthy:) Your house is amazing too!!
sweet pics, you guys do such fun creative stuff! I love it!! and Iowa peeps in random places, that is always the best...
go hawks!
i gave a U of C buddy a hawkeye water bottle, or maybe he just accidentally took it or something after visiting us a few years ago... he lives in NY, said he quit bringing it to his gym to work out b/c he literally would get stopped like 4 times a week and have a pleasant but ultimately irritating conversation where he'd have to explain that, no, he's not from iowa, did not go to iowa, or have any personal tie other than a good buddy from college. iowa niceness / hawkeye fanship = the bomb.
You have such a great life Libba, what a fun adventure! You have such a talent, too. We know it's not from Mr. Sterk's yearbook days- ha ha!
I cannot wait until we get a pack for Oliver & do the same, hopefully in Alabama too! Except that bridge looked scary & it might've taken some strong coaxing or some lime vodka to get me across that thing!
I don't believe you can ever take too many dog pics! I don't get to see pics of Sipsey enough these days.
That hike sure sounds like a lot of fun. Those wildflowers shots turned out super awesome!
I loved the photos -- especially the wildflower one. Too bad you didn't think of the Lost Luggage place sooner -- good deals on wedding dresses (ugh!).
Post a Comment