My only other trip to the Biltmore was a rather strange experience. I was there on a magazine assignment in which my SLR BROKE. So I relied heavily on my point and shoot, which was rather crummy at the time. I was there to photograph the Land Rover Driving School, where people learn to offroad in Land Rovers. For example:
I stayed at the Biltmore Inn, and I have traditionally ALWAYS loved having a hotel room to myself. But maybe it was that Gomar had just passed, or that I was not used to being in Asheville away from my sister, but it was just a little sad. So I decided to use my free pass to the Biltmore House.
I entered as they were closing the doors for the day, and I had the entire house to myself, aside from the staff. I breezed through the rooms like they were my own, not having to fight crowds, lingering where I felt like lingering and bypassing what didn't interest me in the slightest. Oh, and I was able to pull out the little point and shoot and grab some photos (which are strictly prohibited). Like this:
When Brooke told me that her sweet friend Chele was able to secure us day passes to the Estate and that we could tour the house if we wanted to, I was all for it. Not only so that I could take photos with my big camera, but also because I wanted to share the awe that is that mansion with someone else. And once we told Taylor that she was going to visit a castle, she was all for it.

It was a little breezy, and T kept saying, "Get out of my face, Hair!" Ha!

She was very impressed with herself on these steps.

We got there early, so we had the lawn to ourselves for photos.






The light was perfect for exterior shots, and I'm refalling in love with the D200 kit lens (18-70mm). It's not super sharp, but as Chap would say, it also doesn't way as much as an "anchor".

Then we headed to lunch at Cedric's Tavern, where Taylor rode Cedric the Saint Bernard.

And then she got ice cream for being such a good girl. Except, she picked out the pinkest one {of course} which was actually a raspberry sorbet instead of ice cream. I don't think she minded.

I was so fortunate that I was able to replay this Biltmore experience. The first time was very introspective, the second was just outright fun. I wish that someone would make a movie or write a book about what it was like to be a servant in that house. Brooke? Wanna volunteer?
3 comments:
Great photos! Looks like a nice trip for you, Brooke and Taylor!
Great pics! I love the one of Brooke and the Belly with the estate in the back, so perfect!
LOVE the pictures, Lib. That was such a wonderful day, and I'm so happy we were able to do it. It won't be so easy next time when I'm trying to nurse a baby in the Bjorn while walking through the basement and feeding Taylor smarties. Smooches!
Post a Comment