Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dia de los Muertos

When I first moved to Birmingham, I did a lot of odd jobs to make the rent, including babysitting. Around 2005, all the parents of the families I was babysitting for starting talking about these hot new restaurants they were going to check out. Then my friends started talking about how Cantina was the place to be, etc., etc., etc. So I went. And I enjoyed it. But at the time I was still in my weird I-hate-Mexican-food-because-the-beans-look-like-baby-diarrhea phase. Then I was invited to attend the Day of the Dead festival with some friends, and it was cool, and it was fun, but it was really cold and I just didn't get it. Dirk and I went back a year or so later, and again, we walked around, we admired all the altars erected for people's loved ones, and that was about it.

Shortly thereafter Aimee and I met at the dog park, our dogs fell in love with each other, and we became friends. She started dating Jorge and Dirk and Jorge immediately fell in love with each other. I started learning more about Mexican culture, and we were accepted into the Castro and Cantina family. I learned that Guillermo, the owner and mastermind behind the restaurants, was a huge supporter of the Day of the Dead festival, and the next year when we attended, we had a blast. It was SO much fun.

When Guillermo passed in July, thoughts began turning towards this year's celebration, and how bittersweet it would be. But no, the festival became a memorial to this great man, and his family and loved ones lingered around his altar all afternoon and evening, laughing over memorabilia, tearing up over youthful images, honoring the way in which he embraced an American life without losing his passion for his country and culture.

dia de los muertos

These are the surviving Castro brothers. Such an amazing family.
 306/365 - dia de los muertos

dia de los muertos

Memo would always kid around with Dirk about Dirk being a homosexual and make comments about him going to the gay bars, etc. So whenever Dirk would walk into the restaurant Memo would call, "There she is!" Dirk has always been great at making t-shirts out of electrical tape, this year he stepped up his game and printed a picture of him and Memo and taped it to the back.
dia de los muertos

dia de los muertos

dia de los muertos

dia de los muertos

dia de los muertos

Memo

dia de los muertos

I've decided that when I pass, I don't want a funeral or memorial or anything like that. I want an altar and a party and music you can dance to.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful memorial. That wall is a work of art. Great photos.

"Dirk has always been great at making shirts with electrical tape."
Now that is an underappreciated talent.

Ms. Melody said...

I love this! What a perfect way to celebrate a life lost! Amazing photos, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh Libba...this gives me chills. Guillermo was such an inspiration. So glad you & Dirk could celebrate his life the way he would want you to. mamma