Friday, January 27, 2012

Melody Visits, Day 1 & 2

I was so nervous leading up to Melody's visit. I had all sorts of irrational fears, most of which centered around, "What if she doesn't like me?!" I told you, irrational. I don't know why I was nervous, I guess it was just nervous excited energy. Because as soon as I saw her walking down the concourse, I wanted to squeal with happiness!
She's here!

We took a quick driving tour of downtown Birmingham, Southside, and wound our way up Red Mountain to Vulcan, where we got out and wandered around with our cameras a bit.
Vulcan

Dirk treated us to an amazing meal at Sol y Luna that night, where we munched on delicious tapas and sipped on fancy drinks.

On Friday, we packed up the car and headed to Florida. Usually the drive seems like it lasts forever, but honestly, when I think back at the trip to the beach and then back home again, it seems like it lasted 30 minutes. I don't think there was a quiet moment the entire 5+ hour trip each way.

We passed through a little town on the way there that is very quaint and very "deep south", so we took a quick detour to get photos. I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but it was so very wonderful and refreshing to be on an adventure with someone who takes as many (or more) photos as I do.
DeFuniak Springs
DeFuniak Springs
DeFuniak Springs

I wanted to give Melody a well-rounded sense of the beach that holds so many memories for me, so we started at Grayton Beach, where we stimulated the economy at the Zoo Gallery:
Zoo Gallery

And then ate some yummy Grouper Fingers at the Red Bar.
Red Bar
Red Bar

After our bellies were full and we'd had a mimosa, we were itching to feel some sand under our toes, so we walked around the corner and hit the beach.
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach

There were some funny pups running around on the beach, I caught this one taking a nap.
Grayton Beach

I love the excitement and happiness I captured here:
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach

Then we began our journey along Scenic Highway 30-A towards our final destination, Rosemary Beach. Of course I had to drive Melody through Seaside, which is unlike any other place I've experienced before. Originally, I had thought about renting our cottage in Seaside, but had opted for a different town so that we could explore a new place and make new memories together.
Seaside

You'll have to wait with anticipation for Day 2.5-Day 3, and then again for Day 4 & 5. I've decided to just post 'em as I edit 'em.

4 comments:

Ms. Melody said...

I will NEVER be able to put how this trip made me feel in words! But you know... I know you do. :)

Stephanie said...

Awesome. I love the stops you made already. The Red Bar looks super cool. The Zoo Gallery looks like a place I would really dig. I see Brian Andreas prints and sculptures in the background. (Shout out the Iowa Boy, one of my favorites)
And, of course, the fine white sand (ahh)
You did capture Mels giddy happiness in the beach shot:)

Famous Amys said...

The SAND! Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures...

MoCos said...

I want to be in the backseat! What a fun girls trip, and you girls look so adorable with your cameras, so glad you had a good time!