Saturday, March 29, 2008

Walking around Fredericksburg

This is a town you could walk around for days and still see something new and different (it reminded me of Asheville in that respect.)  It has it all, history, architecture, boutiques, amazing restaurants, and art galore.  If only a single-wide trailer didn't cost twice as much as my 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom home in Birmingham (sigh...)  I'll share some photos and tidbits about my pedestrian time in the little town.

The Vereins Kirche is situated in the town Marketplatz (Square) and was once used as a school, church, community hall for the town.


I don't remember the name of this church but the vaulting was impressive for such a small town.


It seemed a shame to waste these flowers by EATING them, but they were actually quite tasty.  This is an Edible Flower Spring Roll I tried at the Herb Farm.


There are tons of beautiful gardens in Fredericksburg, but I particularly liked this Star Garden (laid out like a star) at the Herb Farm.  They also had wonderful smelling lotions/soaps/candles.  I came home with three bottles of Mint-Eucalyptus Lotion (yes, Mama, one of them is for you!)


This is one of many galleries in the area.  My favorite was the Artisans at Rocky Hill, who offer everything from mosaiced furniture and pottery to jewelry and wind art.  Affordable, too.

No comments: