Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sewanee vs. Southern

Ugh! So I've been sick since Sunday afternoon with some sort of bug. But I'm wearing a bra AND contacts today, if that tells you anything about my energy level.

Saturday was an exciting day. Sewanee played at Birmingham Southern college! Southern has not had a home game for something like 64 years, and has only had a football team for a couple. Saturday was their homecoming and the dedication of the new field.

Granddaddy and I both went to the University of the South (Yea, Sewanee's Right, and Sarah is a junior at BSU, so we made an afternoon of it. We started at a brunch hosted by Sewanee alums, which was delicious. No Sewanee event would be complete without an open bar, right? Aunt Jane enjoyed the Bloody Marys, as you can tell.
Granddaddy was not the oldest person there, and was pretty pumped about it. There were two other alumni from the 40's, Mr. Seibels and Mr. Corey.
Mama's best friend from childhood was also there, looking lovely, as usual.
I was reunited with my college mentor, employer, and favorite professor, Phoebe Pearigen. She was my dance teacher all through college, and put me to work teaching tap and ballet to grade school students. She also inspired me to choreograph tap routines for the student-run dance organization, and her motivation continues into my adulthood. She's encouraged me to find a tap studio in Birmingham, and I fully intend to do it!
There's nothing like the feeling of being on any campus in the fall during a game day. I was impressed by Southern's tailgate, and we got to munch on some Cheetos and down a Natty Light before kick-off.


I guess Granddaddy had a feeling that the Sewanee TIgers wouldn't be bringing their A-game to Alabama, so he brought his little radio to listen to the LSU Tigers play the Tide in Baton Rouge (Roll Tide Roll!) It was especially fun when Southern announced it's homecoming court and the band began to sing their alma mater. Granddaddy was giving an entire play by play to our bleacher section, and I'm pretty sure everyone on the field could hear him.

3 comments:

Elaine Warner said...

Whoa! Your grand-dad is a senior stud muffin! Guess good looks run in your family.

~Juli said...

That last picture of your grandpa just seems to sum it up, he looks so proud! Great pictures...so fun to get that college feel back isn't it?

Famous Amys said...

Mmmm... bloody marys. AND Cheetos! That's my kind of football game. Looks like you guys had lots of fun... the last picture of Granddaddy is fabulous.

And the senior stud muffin comment made me laugh out loud.

Hope you're feeling better.