I know what you're thinking...isn't getting' "lucky" in Kentucky? Well, technically, yes. But the press trip I took to Kentucky, while filled with amazing photo opportunities every few seconds, was the first I've taken where I've experienced open hostility towards my vegetarian diet. For the most part, I feel that I'm a little ahead of the curve when it comes to realizing that only I have control over what enters my body, and why does it matter to anybody else but me? I no longer feel like I'm being high maintenance when I'm picky over my food. It's my right, you know? So I basically ate a baked potato two meals a day for three days, and cereal for breakfast. And I didn't complain. The last day of the trip was glorious! We visited Snug Hollow Farm & Country Inn near Berea, KY. A bed & breakfast owned by the most inspirational of women, and her dog, Hillary "Rotten." She grows all of her own food and serves strictly vegetarian cuisine. I was in heaven. Here's a photo of Barbara's apple cobbler dessert with fresh cream and pomegranate. Mmmmmmmm.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Gettin' Hungry in Kentucky
I know what you're thinking...isn't getting' "lucky" in Kentucky? Well, technically, yes. But the press trip I took to Kentucky, while filled with amazing photo opportunities every few seconds, was the first I've taken where I've experienced open hostility towards my vegetarian diet. For the most part, I feel that I'm a little ahead of the curve when it comes to realizing that only I have control over what enters my body, and why does it matter to anybody else but me? I no longer feel like I'm being high maintenance when I'm picky over my food. It's my right, you know? So I basically ate a baked potato two meals a day for three days, and cereal for breakfast. And I didn't complain. The last day of the trip was glorious! We visited Snug Hollow Farm & Country Inn near Berea, KY. A bed & breakfast owned by the most inspirational of women, and her dog, Hillary "Rotten." She grows all of her own food and serves strictly vegetarian cuisine. I was in heaven. Here's a photo of Barbara's apple cobbler dessert with fresh cream and pomegranate. Mmmmmmmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So what was the "open hostility?"
The hardest place I've tried to eat is any little town in Texas. You go to the local greasy spoon and ask for their vegetarian options and they just look at you blankly. My healthy option (well, healthier than just going straight for the fries) is to ask for a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoes, and pickle, hold the burger. You can explain for days that the burger should never actually get anywhere near the bun, but when your burger(less) arrives, there will be telltale splodges of grease and crispy bits on the lettuce.
It's easier to be veggie in the UK. There is always either a jacket potato, margharita pizza (cheese pizza, to you and me), or vegetarian curry (guaranteed to remove the buds off your tongue and maybe even your stomach lining) on the menu. But be prepared, they put weird things on their potatoes. I can get behind baked beans (which are vegetarian unless stated otherwise) and cheese, but tuna salad? Cole slaw? Shrimp cocktail?
To comment on random posts (I've just been catching up) ... Piper looks like she is going to be enormous! The photo with her snuggling against Sipsey's foot is the saddest thing I've seen in a week! I'm glad to hear Sipsey is being a better sibling these days.
Your photo of Fancy Me is lovely, but I was actually hit by your profile photo on the upper right of the blog. You look like a cover model!
Keep up the lovely posting!
Z
Your pictures are amazing!
Post a Comment