Monday, March 15, 2010

adaptation

One of the reasons why Golden Retrievers as a breed appealed to me almost four years ago when I decided to adopt a dog is because everyone (in the books I read) raved about what an easily adaptable breed they were. And they were right, for the most part, but they should have added an addendum. The Golden Retriever (in my humble experience) is very easily adaptable in it's first two years. There. I said it.

The move from 800 square foot apartment to three-bedroom house with fenced yard and doggy door was a breeze for Sipsey. Sure, she missed the proximity to the dog park, but all said in done, there were no major personality changes when moving from apartment to single story house. Then we moved from single story to three-story house and Sipsey has turned into a diva.

As exhibited by the look on her face here.These days she only has one expression, and that is "sullen." No smiles. Just grumbles. We thought that the floor-to-ceiling windows would excite her, since she would spend her days at the other house sitting in a chair with her chin propped on the window sill. Now she just stairs wistfully out the window.

Piper, on the other hand, is within the two-year age limit for adaptability, and is having a party from morning 'til night. New smells, new yard, new creatures to bark at (we have rabbits and squirrels and even a couple of cats lurking around the property.) She has turned into independent Call of the Wild dog who will take off and look back at you like, "What? I don't belong to you." This has been a problem that I fear nothing short of an electric fence or a shock collar will alleviate. But at least she's happy.
And she can now fit Sipsey's entire head in her mouth. Maybe this is why Sipsey has turned into a grumpy old B-word?!

1 comment:

MoCos said...

I love Sipsey and Piper.... Piper will get Sipsey to adapt.. I have a feeling