So I was pleasantly surprised that the food was so delectable. I had the second best RESTAURANT meal (I make that distinction because my favorite meal will ALWAYS be my mama's Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dinners!) of my life in Copenhagen at a new restaurant called Nimb in Tivoli Gardens. An eight-course spread complete with special dishes to appease my restricted diet, caviar on home-made potato chips, sea wolf, a cheese plate with five local cheeses (who knew cheese tasting could be as fun as wine tasting?!), a cake TRAY, and a different wine or champagne paired with each course. I'd heard a rumor (well, actually not a rumor) that pairing different wine varietals with different foods can enhance the flavors of both the food and the wine. I realized this was true two courses in at Nimb.
In Sweden I was most impressed with the cheeses and berries (which are in season right now.) One night we took a ferry to a small island that can only be reached via boat or ferry. I think the only inhabitants were the restaurant owners. There's a restaurant and a glass blowing building, and that's it. They served frozen cappuccino with little donuts for dessert. I'm not even kidding.
So here I will just pat myself on the back a bit and congratulate myself on becoming so adventurous where food is concerned. There are still a lot of things I WON'T eat (raw onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, meat, poultry, pork), but if you had told me five years ago that I would be eating caviar and actually enjoying it, or sashimi, or anything RAW, I would have laughed in your face. So, if nothing else, my travels have refined my palette.
Oh, and who wants to join me in bringing the "Afternoon Tea" tradition to the United States? I mean, who wouldn't want to stop around four o'clock in the afternoon and enjoy a cup of coffee and yummy pastry treats with coworkers or friends?



2 comments:
Uh, wow! The food there looks amazing! You were adventurous in trying all of that. How beautiful in presentation! I love your descriptions and the photos to go with them!
Libba...I don't know if I told you this but I hate you and your job... man..seriously if people knew that you got paid for what you do..the entire country would have to be on prozac...See you soon!!!
Post a Comment