Saturday, August 16, 2008

Good-bye, Old Friend

Dear 1999 Honda Passport,

I never thought I'd get nostalgic over a vehicle, but here I am, thinking of all we've been through in the past 8 years. I mean, you've been with me almost ONE THIRD of my life, and a lot has happened since that day on the used car lot when Gomar told me she would be buying me a car to drive to school. I fell in love with you instantly. I liked your sportiness, your build, the way you looked. I knew you'd be a good car. And you were. You moved me into and out of three different dorm rooms, two apartments, and two houses. You've cruised the streets of Birmingham, Atlanta, Tampa, Asheville, Richmond, Sewanee, and all of Ida County, Iowa. You've taken me on road trips and traveled through 16 states. We've off-roaded to little known territories reached only by 4-wheel drive vehicle. You've hit deers. You've rear-ended extortionist assholes. You've had two windows broken out and two stereos stolen. You've been cried in, kissed in, laughed in, you've watched me transition to the real world and you've only let me down a few times.

This month is a month of milestones for me. It's been exactly 5 years since I moved to Birmingham. The 4-month-old baby I babysat for when I moved here started kindergarten yesterday. I'm buying my first vehicle. I've been a homeowner for a year.

I'm glad that you'll be going to good people. I'll see you occasionally, since your new owner is the daughter of my across-the-street neighbor. I'll be able to keep my eye on you and make sure no ugly stickers grace your bumper. Don't be jealous when you see my driving my snazzy new silver car, okay? I've worked hard. I deserve it.

You'll always be the first for me. The first car that was all mine. Not a hand-me-down from Mama or Daddy. I put over 100,000 memorable miles on you, and it's time I move on. To a car where all four windows roll down. And whose windshield wipers actually work. And who's gas gauge isn't always blinking empty. And while I'm sad and will miss you, I'm also excited to have a car with no dog hair (yet!)

Love,
Libba

No comments: