Thursday, September 17, 2009

Masahide

Barn's burnt down --
Now
I can see the moon.

I like to contemplate this poem.
It's meant to signify enlightenment, and I felt something kin to that when walking around here while I was in Iowa. Especially when the Great Horned Owl swooped out of a tree into another building while I was taking these shots. We were afraid his habitat had been ruined, but I suppose he's adapted. I do wonder what it's like to be an owl. Maybe I'll reread "Mrs. Frisby and the Rat's of Nimh."

Oh, yes. And Daddy "accidentally" burnt the old hay loft down. And it took the fire department a mere 45 minutes to respond to his urgent call.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

45 mins? wow...maybe he should have called jimmy johns...they are freaky fast =) (have you heard that commercial on the radio yet? a guy calls jimmy johns & the fire dept when his house is on fire and of course jimmy johns arrives first =) love the picts th0!

L$ said...

that's one of my favorite short poems as well... BJVN is big on it... after he left Iowa, he came and stayed w/ Sarah and I a bit in Chicago before moving to FL - when he left, he placed short sayings such as this in various hidden locations around the house. found that one at a relative 'rock bottom' moment emotionally. seemed destined. although hundreds of year old, can't help but feel the connection to iowa (e.g. your dad's barn burning). side note - i read once that masahide was a big drinker... again, more support for my affection for the poem. ha.