Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Take THAT, co-dependence!

Since college, I'd always taken great pleasure in my independence. Reveled in it. Took pride in the fact that I could be completely 100% self-sufficient. And then Dirk and I moved in together, and gradually I started letting him "take care" of little things like hanging pictures, yardwork, etc. Seriously, there's no way I could ever start the lawnmower, and I'm fine with that. But then this weekend some friends were going camping in MY spot, and Dirk had agreed to pick up a shift at Cantina. And it was either sit at home and wish I was camping, or pack up and hike into the wilderness by myself, with two dogs, and fifty pounds of equipment on my back. So I did it. I made it there and to the campsite, the whole time hoping that there were some familiar faces there to greet me and congratulate me on my accomplishment. And there they were.

White Oak Hollow is, in my humble opinion, the best site to camp in the Sipsey. It's off the beaten path, but still only .5 miles from the trailhead, definitely a plus when certain members of the camping party brought a full-size charcoal grill. Ha!
Another view of the hollow.
We hiked a total of about 8 miles when all was said and done over the weekend. We probably could have gone further but then Mr. Copperhead showed up to bar our path. In all my time spent outdoors in Alabama this was only the third encounter I've had with a snake and this one probably freaked me out the most. Probably because Liz almost stepped on it, and I've never been in a situation where I've been at least an hour hike and an hour drive from a hospital. Close call.
Our little campsite.
Pretty leaf and lines.
Hers a camping dog. This was Piper's first overnight and she did great. Much better than I expected since her favorite past-time at home is barking at the air. Not a peep from Piper pup all night long. She and Sipsey were my little protectors, never straying far from my side and sleeping with their heads resting on either my shoulders or my legs all night long.
Sipsey feels right at home the Sipsey Wilderness. What a sweetie. She's still passed out from this adventure.
The Eye of the Needle! Woo hoo!

A great weekend and probably one of the only opportunities I'll have in the next couple of months to get up there (it's not an easy place to reach, for sure.) And I did it by myself. And then I came home and my co-dependence kicked back in just in time for a shoulder/neck rub from my feeyoncee.

4 comments:

leynahanson. said...

Great accomplishment. I wouldn't do it! Mowing I love to do, camping solo, not I!

~Juli said...

Great photos Libba, I love the one with the leaf. Thumbs up for your solo trip, I'm proud of you.

Little 'Nemos said...

Those pictures are amazing!! I really need to have a one on one class with you:) You brought the dogs.. now that is a true women. I tell Chad I would rather have another baby then another dog:)

The Thorson Throwdown said...

Brave girl! Beautiful scenary!