Monday, October 19, 2009

Theme from the Bottom

Sometimes it's hard to find energy to be creative when working a Monday-Friday 8-5 job. Seriously, when I get home, all I want to do is drink a beer. And weekends are so busy with one thing or the other, running errands, catching up on housework, oh, and having fun, that I'll realize I haven't taken one photo I'm proud of in an entire week! I know I'm not the only one who sometimes suffers from artist's block, it's just upsetting for me because I spent an entire year being creative. Taking photographs, making jewelry, decorating my home, so I've been actively seeking ways to keep the artistic juices flowing.

So my photographer friend Phillip and I have decided to take turns each week picking a different theme for our photographs, to give us some focus, and hopefully some inspiration. We've created a group on flickr called "Themes from the Bottom," after a song by both of our all-time favorite bands. Can you guess? Ha! So anyway, if you haven't listened to Phish's "Billy Breathes" album go out and do so immediately.

Ironically enough, I chose the first week's theme to be "From the Bottom" to encourage myself to explore different angles.

In this photo I am literally laying on the ground, looking up "from the bottom."
Ground level:
And I even took the theme with me to the wedding this past weekend:
If any of you bloggers want to participate, let me know :)

4 comments:

a said...

i know exactly how you feel.. it is tough to put your mind back to work when you've been at work all day!!!
great photos, libba!!

leynahanson. said...

Love your idea! I'm looking forward to all the future themes & angles!

Ms. Melody said...

Stalkers no more...at least not secretive ones! :) I will see what I can do to contribute to the "Theme from the Bottom".... love the idea! And of course, love the photos!!

~Amy~ said...

You are such an inspiration and when I need a breath of fresh air, I come to your page... thanks for the idea!!! I will try to get some Bottom up picts!!