Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WBW - Phish

I've always taken certain photos with song lyrics in mind. Or poems. Or quotes. Lyrical or melodic musings that could make good titles and/or captions. This photo was taken in the fall of 2007, and I will always think back fondly on this trip. It was my first visit to Oklahoma, for one. Two, I met some amazing writers and photographers who I am still in contact with today {shout out to the Robinsons and Elaine!}. And three, I was in the midst of reading John Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and we spent the majority of the trip following Route 66. This was a stop along the way, the Arcadia Round Barn. It was at this site that I discovered that Iowa has many of these round barns. I would one day like to photograph them all.

Anyway, this photo was taken, and every time I look at it, I start singing a song by Phish: "Round Room":"Right angle rooms drive me crazier each day
Put me in a box I know I'm never going to play
Put me in a square room and I won't know what to say
I want a round room at the end of the day.

If I pass out take me to the round church
Where echoes resound
And my spirit is found
And when I float high
Take my arm and I'll fly you by
The outskirts of town, to a garden that's round

I went to the lighthouse and I liked the view
I looked out the window and I could see you
Put me in a square house and I won't have a clue
I want a round room just to be with you."

I decided to post this photo on this week's Way Back Wednesday because Phish announced their Summer 2011 tour yesterday, which includes a two-night run two hours from us. The only thing is, the shows are on week nights and it would be impossible to take time off since we're already planning to take off for our honeymoon in June. So when Dirk suggested that we rearrange our plans to include the shows, I immediately said YES! We fell in love at a Phish show in June in 2004 {I'm sure I haven't mentioned that before, right? HA!} And I am at my best when dancing to those sweet tunes in my Sunday dress.

1 comment:

Ms. Melody said...

That photo is amazing! Wow. And I love the lyrics to go with it... Now I want a round room {it only makes sense}! :)