Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cabin Fever 2010>2011

Over the years, Dirk has made a lot of great friends through Widespread Panic concerts. Well, this year, WSP played in Colorado, so we decided to ring in the New Year together anyway. A cabin in Blue Ridge, GA was rented, and everyone loaded their stuff up and headed to the mountains. We came together from across the Southeast with dogs in tow and had a very memorable, relaxing, fun weekend.
Here's the cabin, which was a little crowded with 9-10 people and 8 dogs (50% of which were golden retrievers.)
Cindy brought us all fun New Year's props. At one point I put on a wig. And then I saw a photo of myself and I looked like a boy wearing a wig. I was one ugly transvestite.
We had planned a Dirty Santa exchange with a $30 limit. Except, by that time, we were all so "tired" that no one had much energy to steal any one else's gifts. I think there was one theft. That was it. Steph's present was pretty hilarious. She opened up a box that contained another wrapped box, that contained baggies full of dollar bills. $30 total. Ha!
Oh, how I love sparklers. And fireworks in general. I could play with fireworks, writing names, twirling circles, light trails through the sky. Fun stuff. There were artillery shells, too, except by the time we were setting those off, we were so "tired" (again) that the shell was put in upside down in the tube. We all thought maybe it was a dud until there was a gigantic BOOM and then the entire tube, etc. blew up right there in the midst of us all. I laughed so hard I peed (just a little).
And, if we thought that WE were tired, imagine how the nutcase felt. She actually put herself in time out. She disappeared and this is where I found her.
It was a great way to ring in the New Year. I have great hopes and expectations for 2011. I also have a few resolutions. One is to pick up the phone more. One is to spend more time wrapped up in books. One is to log more hours in my bath tub (I love that thing.)

I admit, though, that I was very happy to be back in Birmingham and to put the suitcase up for a bit. We've been going going going since before Thanksgiving, so it was nice to DeChristmas and I'm excited to get back into some sort of routine with life.

Happy New Year, everyone!

2 comments:

Ms. Melody said...

Fabulous! It looks like a wonderful time, place, people, etc! Oh, and I so get how tiring it is to be that "tired"... :) Love the photos, of course!

MoCos said...

what a fun get away. those 2011 glasses are totally hot. I hear you on the running.. this is our last weekend to run and we have been on the run for 9 straight weeks now!! Yahoo for staying home!