Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WBW

This was taken on my third press trip through Executive Traveler magazine, along Highway 1 on the Big Sur Peninsula. I was lucky enough to be given the royal treatment on this trip, along with my best pal, Collins, who celebrated her 30th birthday Monday (woot woot!) We traveled by stretch limo along the coast, sipping champagne, having our driver stop any 'ol time we wanted, taking photos, pinching ourselves in disbelief as to the awesomeness of our surroundings.

We actually hiked to this spot overlooking the falls (tipsy on all that champagne, mind you.) I fell in love with this view. Not only because I'd never seen a waterfall drop directly into an ocean, but also because the wild flowers were in FULL force! This is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. She was apparently an amazing woman. Living alone with no electricity, traveling by horseback, days each way to gather goods to supply her homestead for months, at least, that's what our limo driver told us, but who knows how hard he'd been hitting the bottle on our journey :)

(click on this picture to really take it all in)

This photo also reminds me that, regardless of fancy lenses or cameras, a photo is all about capturing memories, random moments in time. It's amazing the feelings and sounds and smells that come flooding over me when I see this, and it's great confirmation that I took amazing photos back before the super cool camera and the expensive lenses. It's all about how I, personally, view the world and my surroundings. And how I can share that with you.

Here's one last photo from that journey along Big Sur. Happy Birthday, Cole!

No comments: