Friday, May 27, 2011

I've always been more salty than sweet.

It's a trait I inherited from Mama, this love of all things salty and carb-a-licious. She needs her cheese curls, and I need my pizza and chips. I could go the rest of my life without another taste of chocolate, but the thought of a world without KC Masterpiece Barbecue Lays makes me want to curl up in the fetal position. Brooke, however, loves her sweets, something she inherited from my midnight-ice-cream-sundae loving father. And, Will? Well, Will would probably choose Budweiser over food any day of the week.

Here's the glitch. In under three weeks I will be traveling to Costa Rica on my honeymoon, and maybe I'm the only one who's noticed this, but as I grow older, it is harder and harder to keep my body where I'm happy with it. I can exercise six days a week and keep my caloric intake under 1400 calories, but still, nada. My husband, on the other hand, can decide to stop drinking soda and miraculously lose 25 pounds in a few short months.

The only diet I've ever been on that has been at all successful is the South Beach Diet. It just works for me. My body hates carbs, but my head LOVES them. Hmmmm..... This diet stinks for vegetarians, but it works. It really does. So, come Monday, I'm going to need a lot of support and a lot of easy, carb-free, vegetarian-friendly meal ideas, because I'm going to undertake an intense, two-week, carb-free diet, in the hopes that, one day, when we show our future offspring photos of our honeymoon, their first reaction will be, "our parents were hot!" Oh, yeah. The same reaction I have when I look at these photos of my parents, circa 1970 something. And how fitting is it that Daddy's rocking the Budweiser visor?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get these pictures???
Your cheese curl addicted mamma!

MoCos said...

Meg Young is a hottie. How cute is she, and Don isn't so bad himself.. I heart the Youngs and they fabulous offspring!