Wednesday, May 25, 2011

musicology


For years now, Dirk has wanted to get a group of people together for a music listening/appreciation/sharing night. When I mentioned this to our pal and my coworker, Dr. Pig (this is not his real name, this is just what we call him), he was all for it. So last night was our first Musicology night. We have all sorts of great ideas for upcoming evenings, but we wanted to start things off by each choosing a handful of songs and taking turns listening. I wanted to post the songs that I shared here:

1. Keep the Car Running by Arcade Fire
2. Ingrid Bergman by Billy Bragg & Wilco
3. The Wind by Cat Stevens
4. America by Donna the Buffalo
5. World Love by the Magnetic Fields
6. King of Carrot Flowers pt. One by Neutral Milk Hotel

Future Musicology evenings will be organized around more specific topics (lyrics, cover songs, music videos, etc.), but I did hear some new music, some old music that was new to me, and I fell in love with a few new groups, as well. As you all know, music is a huge part of our life, so finding others who appreciate all genres of music and are willing to share is always refreshing!

I'd like whoever's reading this to post the song that you may currently be listening to on repeat because you love it so much! Mine is "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros {thanks, Brooke!}

This is the band I fell in love with last night. They're from Lafayette, Louisiana, and the talent they display for such a young group is mind boggling. Dirk also has a little crush on the drummer:


And, if you have some time, check out this Tiny Desk Concert Dr. Pig shared with us. We've been fans of the Avett Brothers for a couple of years, and I love the way they harmonize and the structure of this song, how it builds, gives me huge chills!

1 comment:

Ms. Melody said...

I love, love, love Home! Currently, I am in love with Adele... almost her whole album. And in my pandora, Johnny Cash station, a song called Little Liza Jane by Elizabeth Mitchell, keeps popping up and I can't help but sing outloud in my cubicle and then continue to sing it with a big ol' smile on my face the rest of the day! Good stuff. Might be my favorite of the week! :)

Can't wait to get home and listen to your video posts... we are always up for some good music rattling the windows in our house!