Sunday, May 22, 2011

shutting it down

I made the executive decision to shut it down over the weekend. Recently, I have found a certain social networking site to be a source of unwanted drama, and a major time suck and distraction, so I'm taking a summer vacation from it. I have to think that the people I'm truly friends with will still be my friends if I stop using this site, and if I want to share photos and information about myself and my life, I can do it here.

It really stresses me out sometimes that so many people who I may have lived in the same dorm with ten years ago, or distant relatives I haven't seen since I was eight, have access to my personal life. It also bothers me when I get friend requests from someone I may have run into once at a show, or know through a mutual friend. If I'm not friends with you in non- cyber space, I really don't want you having access to me via the Internet. Have you ever realized how some users act one way online and a completely different way in real life? It is so easy to create a side of yourself you want to project to the world via social networking, and it makes me nervous for the future of direct communication. When I have kids some day will they not go on actual dates, but instead, skype or chat with each other over the Internet? That freaks me out.

I will continue to update my Young South Photography fan page with photos from photo sessions, simply because, at this stage in my freelancing "career", it makes more sense financially to use a free service to share my portrait photos and keep my name out there.

So, friends, I have no doubt in my mind that if you follow my blog you are the ones who will know how to find me. Please feel free to hit me up on gchat :)

***just to clarify, I'm NOT quitting blogger, it's just that the only people I care to keep up with via the Internets are all here!

xoxo
*Libba*

6 comments:

elizabeth said...

xoxoxo

KelseyB said...

OH, whew! When I read "shutting it down" I thought you were going to stop blogging. What a relief! I love to see your photos and read about your ideas and creativity. Thanks for continuing to share it here!

Libba said...

Kelsey - for some reason I STILL cannot link to your new blogger blog. Please email an invitation to libba.south@gmail.com so I can keep up with the Bumsteds!

Jess said...

I really agree, Libba! I love FB but am really starting to feel the same vibes at times. I cannot believe the folks that have 1,000 friends - c'mon! Good call!

The Thorson Throwdown said...

Glad to know we can find you here-couldn't live without the wonderful pics!:) btw I Love the video from the wedding-beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You can't get pregnant over dates via Skype though! ;-)

-DMS