Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ghost Ranch

The Ghost Ranch is most well-known as the place where Georgia O'Keeffe resided and painted some of her most well-known pieces of art. It also afforded the most beautiful and iconic views of New Mexico I was privy to on this trip. So many blockbuster movies have been filmed here. Most recently, the opening scene of the new Indiana Jones movie! The accommodations are rustic, but you have to understand that the people who spend the night here are either participating in a special art/archeology/history program, or are on a spiritual retreat with their church. Let's just say that I've never been on a press trip where I've had to make my own bed. And have eaten in a mess hall. It was like summer camp. And I LOVED it! Mainly because THIS was the view from my room!
The sunset was one of the most spectacular of my life. The air is so dry that when the clouds begin to rain, the water evaporated, leaving streaks in the sky. As the sun begins to set, the streaks turn all different shades, the one I happened to capture was the most brilliant shade of pink.
We also visited a monastery in the middle of freaking nowhere, down a 13-mile dirt road that bordered the Rio Chama river. More amazing scenery. And really entertaining monks. Who brew beer. And design websites. I like to think of them as the monks of the new millennium.

No comments: