Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Farewell, Uncle Bubba

My granddaddy's eldest brother, Claude (affectionately known by family as "Bubba", yes, every southern family has a "Bubba,") passed away last week at the ripe old age of 98. While it's always sad to lose a family member, especially one so steeped in history, it's nice for extended family to gather and reflect, drink wine, laugh, and of course, take photos.

This is my granddaddy and his little sister, Jane. He actually calls her "sister" the majority of the time. That or "Sister Jane." Their relationship amazes me, and I hope that one day, when Will and I are in our mid and late eighties, we will have this same rapport.

Something I never quite understood growing up was the way people in my southern family received their names. Or why my middle name was actually my granddaddy's last name and my mama's maiden name. People down here are family name crazy. I have met people with FIRST names such as "Fox", "Marbury", "Tompkins," "Stroud", "Vandiver," etc. Oh, and if it's a girl? They just take either the name "Anne" or "Mary" and add the last name to that. That being said, I do think it's a lovely tradition and makes for some truly original individuals with one of a kind names. The Blackwell family was a little more conservative with their namesakes. Hence, we have quite a few Jacks:This is my Granddaddy (Jack), my mama's first cousin (Jack), and my cousin's son (Jack.)

And we have just as many Janes:This is my Aunt Jane, my GREAT Aunt Jane, and my great Aunt Jane's granddaughter Janie. Oh, and Lola, who really just wanted to be in the picture because she's a cutie pie.

I think it'd be interesting for you all to think about what you would name your next child if you HAD to use family names. Dirk and I already know that if we ever have a son he will be named after Dirk's grandfather: Hobson Carswell South. And seriously, Grandma Young's name is too good NOT to pass on! BIRDELLA! Talk about original! Ha!

2 comments:

L$ said...

i like the name carswell!

Stephanie said...

My grandma's name is Harriet. Couldn't do it. My cousin did, though. And they call her little girl Hattie for short.