Wednesday, November 25, 2009

While on the subject of dogs

The blogosphere is going to think I've lost it. Ha! You can all refer to me as "that crazy dog lady," I swear!

Once a month I get an itch. It's all Executive Traveler's fault. I mean, for four whole years I traveled and experienced new sights, sounds, smells, and cultures once a month. Now that I am no longer traveling as a profession, I get these urges to just see and try something new. And I am fortunate enough to have a fiance who supports me in this and is excited that he will be able to participate in these new adventures.

So last week I decided that I was either going to take off and search for Covered Bridges along the Warrior River, explore Tannehill State Park, or freak myself out at the Old Cahawba Ghost Town. Alabama has plethoras of adventures, and I'm actually super excited to have the time to find them.

But then Saturday rolled around and all of a sudden my entire weekend was structured around football and running errands. Which was fine and relaxing, but it didn't satisfy the itch. So what did we decide to do Saturday night? We went to the dog track.

There is a dog track literally 5 miles from our home, and our friends Tim and Liz invited us to join them at the "club level" to bet $2 per race. Man, those dogs are fast!

A dog track veteran, Tim helped explain the betting system and show us the ropes.

These were all the losing tickets. Seriously, we went and had a great time and drank buckets of beer and laughed and chatted, but there were some SERIOUS people there. I mean, old men with formulas jotted down on napkins kind of serious. It left me with a really empty sad feeling in my soul.

We had a chance to walk out onto the course towards the end of the evening to catch a race. Yes, it was a new experience and very interesting to surround myself with a completely different "culture" of people, but I was very sad about the dogs.

This photo does not stop cracking me up. Have you all seen the movie poster for "40-year-old virgin" with Steve Carrell? This is almost the exact same expression.

And who could have guessed? Tim was the big winner of the evening, taking home a whopping $23 on the first race.

I don't know if I'll be back, but I wanted an adventure, and I sure did get one.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I bet you DO get that creative itch often!
(To satisfy mine, I go to the art supply store and am like a kid in a candy store- but I only will buy one new thing)

I get that same empty feeling that you explained, when I go to the casino (which is NOT often)- NOT my thing.

LOL at the Virgin picture!!

leynahanson. said...

I love it!!! And 40-yr-old virgin Dirk photo cracks me up too! Once Marcell, Josh & I were at a bar in Chicago & they had video dog races...I think Marce won like $8. I just thought that I'd share =) I also think it's just fine to be the crazy dog lady.