Ten Thousand Waves is technically a day spa, but it feels kind of like the ewok village. If the ewok village was transported from Japan to the hills above Santa Fe and specialized in making people feel high on life. Accommodations range from a renovated vintage Airstream to a multiple-bedroom villa. We didn't have a chance to stay here, but we spent one of the most relaxing mornings of the trip (and the best physical body treatment of my life) here. We started with a dip in the baths, followed by an 85-minute Indo-Asian treatment. After massaging warm oil into your body, you're then sprinkled with calamus root powder, which is scrubbed into the oil. Then more massage. Then you're wrapped, mummy-like, in heavy blankets that have been steeped in numerous herbs. I guess it opens up your pores so your body is able to absorb the healing powers of the herbs (unlike some wraps in which you're supposed to sweat out toxins.) My eyes were covered in cucumber slices and then my face was packed with cold compresses. Every few minutes, my therapist would mist my face with lavender-scented water, then stick a straw in my mouth so I could sip cool water. Divine. I can see why the Hodapps are obsessed with this place. And yes, although I knew clothing was optional, I opted to keep my suit on to spare the construction workers (they're in the process of opening two new baths.)
Sunday, October 5, 2008
10,000 waves
Ten Thousand Waves is technically a day spa, but it feels kind of like the ewok village. If the ewok village was transported from Japan to the hills above Santa Fe and specialized in making people feel high on life. Accommodations range from a renovated vintage Airstream to a multiple-bedroom villa. We didn't have a chance to stay here, but we spent one of the most relaxing mornings of the trip (and the best physical body treatment of my life) here. We started with a dip in the baths, followed by an 85-minute Indo-Asian treatment. After massaging warm oil into your body, you're then sprinkled with calamus root powder, which is scrubbed into the oil. Then more massage. Then you're wrapped, mummy-like, in heavy blankets that have been steeped in numerous herbs. I guess it opens up your pores so your body is able to absorb the healing powers of the herbs (unlike some wraps in which you're supposed to sweat out toxins.) My eyes were covered in cucumber slices and then my face was packed with cold compresses. Every few minutes, my therapist would mist my face with lavender-scented water, then stick a straw in my mouth so I could sip cool water. Divine. I can see why the Hodapps are obsessed with this place. And yes, although I knew clothing was optional, I opted to keep my suit on to spare the construction workers (they're in the process of opening two new baths.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The thought of anyone misting me with anything besides Kellen saliva would be wonderful! I should tell my cousin, Carrie, about your blog - she would love to share stories about your organic experiences. She lives in Minneapolis and is as wordly as you are. I like the new family pic too! :)
The parents have been in the Black Hills relaxing for ten days now, but have made their reservation for next month at Waves in Santa Fe.
Sounds like a great place to be.
I think that I am going to pretend that I am you for a day!! I love a spa, though the most exotic that I have gotten is a hot stone massage! Keep it up and we will just live vicariously through you!
Obsessed may be too strong a descriptor, but we certainly enjoyed our visits there and look forward to another over our 36th anniversary (whovever thought we wouldn't make 36 . . . fooled you!).
Mr. Hodapp
Post a Comment